Scrambled Falafel Pitas
Yields: 4 servings
1 cup of dried chickpeas, **soaked in water overnight**
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 cup kale, chopped
1/2 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
2 TBS extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup hummus
4 pitas, halved
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Drain the chickpeas and place into a food processor, pulse the chickpeas, cumin, and coriander until they are broken down, make sure not to puree them. Set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, cooking until translucent (about 3 to 5 minutes).
3. Add the chickpeas and stir to combine with the onions (think scrambled eggs). Allow the chickpeas to lightly brown, stirring occasionally (may be 5 to 7 minutes).
4. Add the kale and peppers, cooking until the kale softens, about 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Spread hummus on the pitas and add the falafel scramble.